Director of Operations
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
Canada’s Building Trades Unions (CBTU) seeks an experienced leader, with strong project management, human resources management and communication skills to join its team. CBTU is a member focused organization that advocates on behalf of its members and manages many related concurrent projects. These projects can involve some or all of the staff on the CBTU team of approximately 8 in addition to contract staff and various consulting organizations that bring specific expert competencies and capacity as needed. The Director of Operations is responsible for the effective management of these projects – including financial and human resources aspects as well as the efficient operation of a dynamic office environment. In collaboration with a cadre of highly qualified professional staff, the Director of Operations works closely with the Executive Director to develop and execute operational plans to achieve key results in support of the CBTU strategic plan, and provides leadership and best in class management to the CBTU on behalf of its members.
The Director of Operations reports to the Executive Director. Work is conducted at the CBTU’s office, located in the Ottawa. Occasional domestic travel (Canada) may be required.
Leadership: Provides leadership and vision to the organization by assisting the Executive Director, Executive Board and staff members with the development and implementation of the CBTU strategic plan and associated business and operational plans that are aligned with the strategy.
Advocacy: Work with the CBTU team to develop and execute advocacy strategies that aim to influence decisions within federal political, economic, and social institutions in Canada on behalf of members. Influence public policy, laws and budgets by using research, facts, relationships, the media, and messaging to educate government officials and the public. At times, CBTU undertakes media campaigns, public speaking, commissioning and publishing research and the use of social media; the successful candidate would support these initiatives.
Project Management: Ensures timely and effective project execution by implementing internal project reporting and administration processes; Effectively managing human resources including determining project roles of team members based on project requirements, timeframes and budget; When necessary working with external contractors in addition to internal resources; determining resource requirements (including staffing, software, hardware, and facilities) of projects, based on project specifications.
Communication and Relationship Building: Develops and maintains effective two-way communication and excellent relationships with all stakeholders including CBTU affiliated unions, CBTU staff, stakeholders in the construction industry (e.g. contractor groups), government and regulatory bodies, political organizations, and other associations.
Human Resources Management: Oversees day to day operations of a busy office environment and fosters a culture that encourages communication, engagement, results, accountability, as well as individual and team growth. Implement CBTU policies, procedures and principles for all aspects of human resources management.
Education and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience in a leadership role in a similar organization including project management, business management and operations responsibilities.
- At least 5 years of experience in human resource management (e.g. hiring, supervision, evaluation).
- Post-secondary education in a related discipline is highly desirable.
- Bilingual capability (English and French) desirable
- Experience with a not-for-profit association with an advocacy mandate desirable
- Knowledge of or experience with the trade union movement in Canada and the construction industry are an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to manage in a multi-project environment.
- Ability to supervise a staff team, and to mentor and develop others.
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills.
- Strong organizational management skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to exercise judgement, and manage complex internal and external political environment
- Show initiative and be proactive as part of a team that is results focused
- Effective problem solving and mediation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize work flow, set priorities and multi-task.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Project, Outlook)
- High standards of ethics and confidentiality.
COMPENSATION AND TERMS
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Closing Date: August 31, 2021
To apply for this position, please forward cover letters and resumes to:
Marie-Pierre Grenier – Executive Assistant
To get a better understanding of Canada’s Building Trades Unions/Les Syndicats des métiers de la construction du Canada visit www.buildingtrades.ca
CBTU is committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workforce through equitable participation of persons from diverse groups. All applicants who are members of an employment equity group are encouraged to self-identify.