The Hill Times is looking to hire a permanent, full-time news reporter. We’re looking for someone who sees journalism as a noble profession, loves politics, and can illuminate interesting story ideas and break exclusive news. The Hill Times is a fast-paced, twice-weekly newspaper in Ottawa covering Parliament Hill, the federal government, and federal politics for a readership that includes cabinet ministers, Members of Parliament, Senators, and their staff; federal public servants; political insiders; lobbyists; foreign diplomats posted to Canada; industry associations; authors; journalists; and academics. We go inside federal politics in a way no one else does.
- demonstrated knowledge of Parliament Hill/federal government; previous coverage of these areas would be a strong asset
- journalism degree or diploma, and previous daily/weekly reporting experience (or commensurate experience, with no degree/diploma)
- knowledge of The Hill Times’ niche and how we cover politics and policy
- mastery of CP style, detail-oriented
- good people skills and a team player
- strong adherence to journalistic ethics
- ability to write accurate and fair stories while respecting tight deadlines
- photography skills
- knowledge of the WordPress content management system
- ability to speak, write, and read French
- knowledge of the Access to Information system
- enthusiasm for data/visual journalism
- write three to four 1,200-word news pieces every week, or more shorter pieces
- write daily news as required
- take photos as required
- work Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. generally, with some evenings and weekends required when on deadline or to cover special events
Deadline for applications:
Send your resumé, cover letter, and two to three of your best clippings to Kate Malloy, editor (email@example.com), and Charelle Evelyn, managing editor (firstname.lastname@example.org), by Oct. 29.
We thank all applicants for their submissions, but only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.