Senior Vice-President, Industry, Policy and General Counsel
The Canadian Media Producers Association is Canada’s industry association for independent producers. We represent hundreds of Canadian companies engaged in the development, production and distribution of English-language TV programming, movies and digital media content. Have a favourite Canadian TV show? Chances are one of our members produced it. Those Canadian films getting all the hype on the festival circuit? Again, it’s more than likely you’re hearing about our members’ productions. The CMPA works to safeguard the continued success of the media production sector in Canada, and to ensure a bright future for content made by Canadians.
The CMPA is currently seeking a dynamic, talented and experienced individual for the role of Senior Vice-President, Industry, Policy and General Counsel to join our Ottawa; or Toronto office (currently remote). The SVP, Industry, Policy and General Counsel plays a key strategic role within the CMPA and is a member of the Executive Team. This role ensures a cohesive, innovative and integrated approach to legal, industry, legislative, regulatory and public policy matters that impact the collective interests of CMPA members. The SVP, Industry, Policy and General Counsel is a trusted industry leader and steward of strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders. This role will be responsible for providing legal advice to the President and CEO, Board and staff with respect to all matters affecting the CMPA or its members.
CORE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS ROLE:
- Provide high-level advice to the President and CEO and the Executive Team on matters of strategic importance to the CMPA
- Provide strategic and legal advice to the President and CEO as well as to the CMPA Board of Directors and staff on any and all issues relating to the independent production industry
- Provide broad-based strategic advice to CMPA members and other industry stakeholders regarding the development, production, distribution and exploitation of all screen-based media
- Provide strategic leadership on various CMPA working groups and committees
- Lead and manage the Policy and Government Relations departments
- Oversee the Business Affairs department led by the Senior Director, Business Affairs
- In collaboration with the Senior Director, Business Affairs, take a leading role in negotiating, drafting and implementing broad-based commercial agreements with industry stakeholders, and support CMPA members and other industry stakeholders in the administration and application of these agreements
- Manage relationships with various stakeholders with respect to the impact of, and member access to, public funding agency programs, federal and provincial tax credits and other financing incentive programs
- Participate in industry stakeholder advisory groups and draft, or oversee the drafting, of CMPA position papers to such groups
- Lead the development and implementation of strategy for all CMPA policy matters
- In collaboration with the Director, Policy, lead the development of legislative, regulatory and public policy proposals and draft, or oversee the drafting, of related submissions to the CRTC and other government departments and agencies
- Represent the CMPA in Parliamentary and CRTC hearings, and/or provide support to others in their representations to same
- Provide ongoing industry education to the CRTC and other Canadian agencies and funders
- In collaboration with the Director, Government & Policy Affairs, design and execute government relations strategies and participate in lobbying initiatives
- In collaboration with the National and BC Industrial Relations departments, ensure the CMPA’s internal compliance with all applicable employment legislation
- Ensure compliance with all other applicable legislation not falling under the purview of the Finance Department, such as privacy
- Serve as staff lead with respect to the application of the CMPA’s anti-harassment policy, including the supervision of external third-party investigators, where required, and compliance with related applicable legislation
- Working with the President and CEO, Executive Team, Board Secretary and staff to ensure compliance with, and shepherd any amendments to, the CMPA’s by-laws and related governance policies and procedures
- Independently, or working closely with colleagues, appoint, supervise and direct external legal counsel and consultants
- Provide general legal services as necessary for all aspects of the operation of the CMPA
- In tandem with the Board, the Executive and Senior Leadership teams, and staff, play a leading role in the creation of the CMPA Strategic Plan, and involvement in the ongoing execution of the mission, vision, and strategic priorities of the organization
- Provide input on key strategic projects that serve to elevate the mission of the CMPA or generate new or evolved sources of revenue
- Involvement in other strategic initiatives/duties as assigned
- Remain current in areas of responsibility through education courses, professional publications, a professional network, and professional societies
- Be an active ambassador of the CMPA, representing the organization at events and programs
- Maintain regular communication and coordination of files within and across departments, as well as with the Executive and Senior Leadership teams, to achieve common objectives
- Create a culture where staff feel informed, valued and empowered to give their best
The following competencies and skillsets are required for this position:
- A current and good standing membership with a provincial or territorial law society
- A minimum of seven years’ experience practicing law in the entertainment industry
- Demonstrated experience in at least two, and willingness to develop expertise in all, of the following: production, legal and business affairs, regulatory issues, public policy, broadcasting, distribution and government relations
- Familiarity with the various industry labour agreements is an asset
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written, coupled with exceptional interpersonal, relationship and influence building skills to gain buy-in and build consensus across the organization, the membership and the industry
- A working ability with the French language (i.e., verbal, written and comprehension) is considered an asset
- Strategic thinking, integrity and leadership
- Pragmatic problem solver, analytical thinker and emotionally intelligent
- Strong proficiency with Office Suite, such as Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel
- Be willing and able to travel
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer
LOCATION: Full time position based in either Ottawa; or Toronto, Ontario. Remote work-from-home/office hybrid schedule until COVID restrictions are fully lifted.
The CMPA is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in our organization, and in our work. We strive to create a workplace that honours a diversity of lived experiences, perspectives, abilities and identities, and to foster and maintain a working and learning environment that is inclusive and equitable. We welcome all applicants, and in particular applicants from equity-seeking or sovereignty-seeking communities.
Accommodation for those requiring accessible alternatives is available on request for applicants taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please submit a resume and cover letter (essential for consideration) on or before March 4, 2022 at 5 p.m. ET via email to Chris Kelsey, Lead Human Resources at email@example.com with the subject line: Application – Senior Vice-President, Industry, Policy and General Counsel.
Note: Interviews will commence immediately until the position is filled.